Monday, December 7, 2009

Conventional!

Well, I was going to be extra-special cool this week and post to blogger from my phone, but blogger is being uncooperative, so we'll have to do things the old-fashioned way.

This is going to be a short one, not only because last week's facebook post was the size of several small novels, but because I'm in the midst of some self-research at work, but won't be ready to report back until next week.

But for this week . . .hold on to your hats! We're going to a conference! Do you know why we're going to a conference? Because conferences are awesome! I didn't used to think so. Back when I was in grad school, conferences were something terrifying and incomprehensible that grown-ups did. Places where people gave incomprehensible talks about opaque subjects that only mattered to approximately 5 other people in the universe.

Not anymore! No, no, no! Go to a conference! Go to one right now! If it's a year from now, and you are in the Bay Area, go to this one: http://www.ywca-berkeley.org/YWAMC/ I'll be there.

5 Reasons this Conference was great!

5. Swag! I got a tote bag, and a stuffed animal, and a t-shirt, and and and post-it notes, and a book! Christmas came early, and with a bank logo slapped all over it.

4. Discounts! The whole day cost me only $20, because the bank putting it on in collaboration with the YWCA wanted so much for me to know the things it was teaching me, that it subsidized my fee. There may be somebody out there who wants to feed you muffins and chicken and facts and motivation right now! Start looking!

3. Networking! I'm not the queen of networking (that was the third Keynote Speaker, actually). I'm not particularly good at it. However, this environment made it easy for even people like me to smile across the table, and make connections with other smart young go-getters. People were nice! They gave me their e-mail addresses, and told me we should connect with each other. The conference atmosphere put everyone in the mood to seek out connections and get things done. It was exciting, and very good practice.

2. Knowledge! Glorious knowledge! I learned a lot of useful things about money, and at the same time, received unbelievable amounts of motivation from superbly enthusiastic speakers. I really felt energized, even during the cheesy parts. Hearing that Saturday was the first day of the rest of my life enough times made me believe it a little bit, or at least think about how my life would change if it were true. It got me in touch with the big picture, which is something I think we all need not just every once in a while, but regularly.

And the number one reason why conferences are great:

1. When I told my boss where I'd been this weekend, she said, "Wow. That's great that you're being so proactive about that."

Hear that? My boss thinks I'm proactive. All because I ate some chicken and got some people to tell me about my potential while giving me presents.

Go conferences! Go TO conferences! I dare you. It'll be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment